What do I do if I dispose of a vehicle?

Notify both the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office immediately if your vehicle has been sold, stolen, donated, or totaled. Virginia DMV requires notification within 30 days of selling, trading, or junking a vehicle by completing the back portion of the vehicle registration form. Once DMV has been notified, you are required to notify the Commissioner of the Revenue. You may notify the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office by filling out the Personal Property Filing Form.

Show All Answers

1. What is considered individual personal property?
2. What is the personal property tax rate?
3. When is the personal property tax bill due?
4. If I move out of Gloucester County or sell my automobile, will my tax bill be prorated?
5. What is PPTRA and how does it affect the taxpayer?
6. When does a vehicle not qualify for Personal Property Tax Relief Act ?
7. What do I do if I dispose of a vehicle?
8. Do I need to purchase a decal for my vehicle?
9. How do I contact the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles?
10. How do I contact the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries?
11. I own an antique vehicle with antique/vintage-restricted tags; do I have to register this vehicle?
12. Do I need to register a leased vehicle with Gloucester County?
13. I am a new resident to Gloucester County. How do I register with the county?
14. When must I file a personal property tax return?
15. I am in the military; do I have to pay personal property taxes?
16. What do I do if I have purchased a new vehicle?