- Planning & Zoning
- Zoning Division
The Gloucester County Zoning Ordinance Opens in New Window has been in effect since July 1, 1984 with a county wide comprehensive rezoning of the ordinance effective February 1, 1998. With the adoption of the Zoning Ordinance was the creation of the enforcement division of the Codes Compliance Division. In addition to permit review and approval, the division investigates complaints generated regarding potential zoning violations and enforces certain sections of the Gloucester County code such as inoperative motor vehicles, tall grass and weeds, and bulky waste and debris.
The zoning ordinance however does not regulate matters such as private lane/right of way disputes, noise ordinance Opens in New Window , discharging firearms and items similar in nature. Private matters are civil matters that must be handled on that level or through an attorney. The Codes Compliance office and Zoning Division are tasked with the provision of services and enforcement of county code matters.
The Zoning Ordinance does regulate matters pertaining to uses permitted in specific zones, setbacks/yard regulations of principal and accessory structures including residential and commercial uses, home occupations, livestock and poultry, and sign regulations to name a few.
- How do I know what my property is zoned?
- What department handles complaints related to noise and firearms?
- What department handles complaints related to tall grass and inoperative vehicles?
- Are manufactured (mobile) homes permitted in Gloucester?
- Does Gloucester County allow home occupations?
- How far does a fence have to be off the property line?
- Do I need a permit to erect a sign?
- What department regulates subdivisions, boundary line adjustments, and family transfers?