AS OF DECEMBER 30, 2020, THE ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICE HAS MOVED TO:
6584 BEEHIVE DRIVE, GLOUCESTER, VA 23061
The Animal Control Department is responsible for the enforcement of state laws and county ordinances regulating the keeping of domestic animals within the county.
Hours of Operation
The normal hours of operation are 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Animal Control Department will respond to emergencies after normal duty hours. The following situations would constitute an emergency;
- Domestic animal threatening bodily harm
- Livestock or poultry kills
- Injured domestic stray animals
- Animal bite to a person
- Loose livestock
- Possible rabid animal
- Stray dog in public area such as a playground or a public park
Animal Control can be contacted at 804-693-5290 during normal duty hours and at 804-693-3890 for emergencies after normal duty hours, weekends, and holidays.
- How do I file a complaint?
- My dog never goes outside. Do I need to still buy a dog license?
- Must I put the county license tag on my dog?
- Who do I call if I am missing my animal?
- What does it cost to reclaim my animal from the County Shelter?
- What are the rules on animals running loose?
- An animal has bitten me - what should I do?
- Does the county have a "barking dog" ordinance?
- Does the county have a "pooper-scooper" ordinance?
- My pet is old and sick and needs to be put to sleep - does the County do this?
- Can my dog (animal) ride unrestrained in the open back of a pick-up?
- What's the difference between Animal Control and the Humane Society?
- Can I adopt an animal from Animal Control?
- I have a two foot constrictor type snake that I purchased from a pet store, do I need to register it as an Exotic Animal?
- Is there something I can do to eliminate skunk odor on my dog?
- I found a dog or cat; can I just keep it?