• 1914: Mrs. Elinor Cochran Stewart donated 125 books to form the core of a lending library at Gloucester Woman’s Club, Long Bridge Ordinary.
• 1925: The library was relocated to the County Clerk’s Office. When the collection totaled 2,000 volumes the library moved to offices in the Bank of Gloucester.
• 1933: A bequest of $10,000 by Mrs. Stewart provided the basis to purchase land and construct the original Gloucester Library on Main Street.
• 1935: This new Library was formally dedicated on June 27, 1935.
• 1956: A children’s wing was added through the efforts of Stuart W. Jackson. The Virginia Room was funded by a contribution from Mr. and Mrs. George H. Cunningham in 1973.
• 1985: The Point Branch Library opened in the Tidemill Center.
• 1987: A 3,500 square foot expansion was added to the Gloucester Library and dedicated with the assistance of Mr. Henry A. Schutz serving as President of the Library Board of Trustees and the Gloucester Library Endowment Foundation.
• 1992: The Point Branch relocated to space on George Washington Highway.
• 1993: The Bookmobile began operation.
• 1999: The library system became automated.
• 2004: The Gloucester County Public Library upgraded to a 24,000 sq. ft. facility in the Main Street Center.
• 2011: The Gloucester Point Branch Library upgraded to a 3,916 sq. ft. facility in the York River Crossing Shopping Center, October 15, 2011.
• 2014: 100 year anniversary of the Gloucester County Public Library