Keeping Gloucester beautiful is a community effort. If you have community pride and want to make a difference in the way our streets, parks, and neighborhoods look, there are a number of ways you can make a positive change in our community. Get together with your family, friends and neighbors to host a cleanup or beautification event. The Clean Community Office can help you make your event a big success!
Steps to Help You Get Started on an Event
- Decide on an event type. Do you want to host a cleanup, recycling or planting event? The Clean Community Office can assist with brainstorming ideas.
- Enlist assistance from the tall and small! Assistance can come in all sizes from neighborhood associations, church groups, scout troops, civic organizations, and others.
- Mark your calendar! Set a date for the event - Saturday mornings between 8 a.m. and noon work best! Let the Clean Community Office know once you set a date so we can help publicize your event.
- Make a to do list. Create a checklist of equipment you will need for your event. Ask volunteers to bring some of their own equipment. The Clean Community Office can supply you with trash bags and has litter getters, gloves, safety vests and other items to loan for your event.
- Celebrate a job well done! Congratulate your volunteers by hosting a picnic at the conclusion of the event. Submit photos of your event to the local press for publication. Let the Clean Community office know the outcome of your event (how many volunteers, what was accomplished, how many hours were dedicated to the event, etc.).
The County also hosts the annual Clean Gloucester Day the third Saturday in March and manages the Adopt-a-Spot program. To adopt an area of your own, please contact the Clean Community office at 804-693-5370. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) manages the Adopt-a-Highway program. For information Adopt-a-Highway, please visit VDOT's website.