Keeping Gloucester beautiful is a community effort
Get together with your family, friends and neighbors to host a cleanup or beautification event at a public space...
- - Host a river cleanup via kayak for International Coastal Cleanup Day
- - Plant trees to celebrate Arbor Day
- - Adopt a public spot to beautify on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
...the Clean Community Office can support your event and help to make it a success! We have equipment to lend, county connections for arranging trash bag pickup, and a wide social media reach to help you publicize. All we ask is that you report back with your stats (e.g. how many people/bags of trash collected) using this Cleanup Report Form so we can use them for our grant reporting and keep the Clean Community office thriving.
Steps to A Successful Beautification Event
- Decide on an event type. Do you want to host a cleanup, recycling or planting event? The Clean Community Coordinator can help you brainstorming ideas if you like!
- Set a date. Saturday mornings between 8 a.m. and noon tend to garner the most volunteers. Let the Clean Community Office know your date in advance, so we can help publicize your event and gather supplies for you.
- Enlist assistance from the tall and small...invite neighborhood associations, church groups, scouts, civic organizations, and others.
- Create a checklist of equipment you will need for your event. The Clean Community Coordinator can lend you trash bags, litter grabbers, gloves, safety vests, and other items you may need.
- Celebrate a job well done! It's a nice idea to congratulate your volunteers by hosting a picnic after the event.
- Send Clean Community photos of your event, and we'll submit them to the local press for publication.
- Fill out our Cleanup Report Form please, so our office can continue to be grant-funded.
The Gloucester Clean Community Office also hosts Clean Gloucester Days twice a year in March and October, provides educational programs for groups and schoolchildren, and manages the Adopt-a-Spot and Adopt-a-Boat-Landing programs. To schedule an educational program or talk, please contact the Clean Community office at 804-693-5370 or.
The Virginia Department of Transportation manages the Adopt-a-Highway program. For information, please visit VDOT's website.